About Me and my Experiment

About Me and my Experiment

My name's Phil Hodges. I'm a 30-something Brit living in San Francisco, where I work for a money management firm as lead researcher on a $6 billion investment fund. I earn a little more than the San Francisco 2013 minimum wage of $10.55 per hour (the highest in the nation), or $21,100 a year.

Throughout January 2013 I will be living on minimum wage. There will be a few practical constraints but I intend to keep these to a minimum. At the end of the month, everything I earn and do not spend will be donated to Larkin Street Youth Services, along with any other donations that I can squeeze out of supportive individuals and corporations. The money will support the amazing work that Larkin Street with homeless, runaway and at-risk youth between the ages of 12-24 by providing street outreach and emergency shelter, primary medical care, transitional housing, and job training and scholarship assistance to get kids off the streets.

Please consider supporting Larkin Street at this link, or by using the donation widget on the right of this page.

Saturday, January 5, 2013

The Spendometer


Happy Saturday!

With great fanfare, allow me to introduce my newest invention: The Spendometer.

The Spendometer is designed to monitor my spending throughout the 31 days of January and compare total actual spending (the light-red solid line) with hypothetical spending of exactly $11.39 a day (the dotted blue line).

The area above the blue line is labeled with Real Housewife of New Jersey, Teresa Giudice and indicates excessive profligacy. (If you don’t know who this is, you probably don’t want to).

The area below the blue line is labeled with legendary investor Warren Buffet and indicates frugality. (If you don’t know who this is, you should probably look it up).

The red line is currently in the Real Housewife zone, suggesting that I am slightly over-spending.  This is to be expected early on: my kitchen is full of sacks of rice and pinto beans that I will not have to buy again.

I have spent a total of $64, and have $289 remaining for the next 27 days.


This weekend I am engaged in a fun (and sometimes ethically-questionable) experiment into ways to entertain myself cheaply.  I will provide more details later.

Have a good weekend everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment