About Me and my Experiment

About Me and my Experiment

My name's Phil Hodges. I'm a 30-something Brit living in San Francisco, where I work for a money management firm as lead researcher on a $6 billion investment fund. I earn a little more than the San Francisco 2013 minimum wage of $10.55 per hour (the highest in the nation), or $21,100 a year.

Throughout January 2013 I will be living on minimum wage. There will be a few practical constraints but I intend to keep these to a minimum. At the end of the month, everything I earn and do not spend will be donated to Larkin Street Youth Services, along with any other donations that I can squeeze out of supportive individuals and corporations. The money will support the amazing work that Larkin Street with homeless, runaway and at-risk youth between the ages of 12-24 by providing street outreach and emergency shelter, primary medical care, transitional housing, and job training and scholarship assistance to get kids off the streets.

Please consider supporting Larkin Street at this link, or by using the donation widget on the right of this page.

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

3 weeks down, $21k raised.


If I knew that I could raise a full year’s salary in 3 weeks just by eating rice and beans, having bad hair and not sleeping, I would have done it ages ago.

But I can’t imagine doing it again.

Today marks the start of week four and I have raised $21,441! This is more than a whole year’s salary (before tax) for a minimum wage earner in San Francisco, and 18 month’s salary for a worker earning the federal minimum wage. 

Damn, you guys are generous!



Even if I stopped now (I’m not stopping), this donation would have a significant benefit.  $20k provides a year of accommodation and case management services for a former foster youth while they learn job skills.  Help me get to $25k (you know you want to) and we can provide food and a warm bed to 500 homeless kids.

After three weeks, do I have any new insights?

Nothing groundbreaking, but I am particularly struck by:

How much time I spend thinking about the cost of things.  I am now lightning fast at calculating how many days’ food budget anything costs. People rarely find it endearing when I mention these statistics aloud.

The gulf between theory and practice. You know what I mean.  I was very excited about cheating the McDonald’s pricing system by subsisting on eight cheeseburgers a day.  This wasn’t a good idea in practice. Neither was the decision to invest in a six month supply of pinto beans.

The frequency of awkward conversations. I am constantly telling people that I can’t afford things and then explaining why I don’t want them to pay for me.  It’s wonderful that you offer, and I really do feel the love, but saying no to you – constantly! - has given me a new appreciation for how difficult it is to maintain an active social life on a very low income.

The amount of support I’ve received. This month hasn’t been easy. At all!  And I am very thankful for the support of family, friends and strangers.  A lot of people have sent me messages and I read them all. I try to respond to every message, but there are only a limited number of hours in the day. Please know that I am enormously touched by your support even if I haven’t responded to you yet.

Messages of support tend to come in one of five forms:
  • Non-judgmental support:  This is awesome. Keep it up!  Can I buy you hot sauce / coffee?
  • Getting back in touch: I haven’t seen you for ages. Good job Phil!
  • Beating low expectations: I thought you were a rich party boy. Good to see you have more depth.
  • Knowledge sharing: I know a great place in Chinatown… Let me hook you up with my friend Leslie…
  • Romantic propositions: Of course I am shocked – SHOCKED – by these, and do little to encourage them :)

I’m incredibly grateful for your support in whatever form it takes. But do you know what would make me even more grateful?  Open up your wallet and write a big fat check to Larkin Street (I’ve already lost my British audience who think I’m a sell-out for using American spelling). Do it at this link!

No comments:

Post a Comment