About Me and my Experiment

About Me and my Experiment

My name's Phil Hodges. I'm a 30-something Brit living in San Francisco, where I work for a money management firm as lead researcher on a $6 billion investment fund. I earn a little more than the San Francisco 2013 minimum wage of $10.55 per hour (the highest in the nation), or $21,100 a year.

Throughout January 2013 I will be living on minimum wage. There will be a few practical constraints but I intend to keep these to a minimum. At the end of the month, everything I earn and do not spend will be donated to Larkin Street Youth Services, along with any other donations that I can squeeze out of supportive individuals and corporations. The money will support the amazing work that Larkin Street with homeless, runaway and at-risk youth between the ages of 12-24 by providing street outreach and emergency shelter, primary medical care, transitional housing, and job training and scholarship assistance to get kids off the streets.

Please consider supporting Larkin Street at this link, or by using the donation widget on the right of this page.

Sunday, December 30, 2012

Minimum Wage Fashion: 73 outfits for $60!


I scoured the thrift stores of San Francisco for my January wardrobe.  I spent $63.46, which is the equivalent of 7 hours after-tax income for a minimum wage earner.

Here’s what I bought:
  • Flip flops: $1.49 – Penguin from Goodwill SoMa
  • Shoes: $6.49 – Converse by John Varvatos from Goodwill Fillmore
  • Pants: $4.43 – Banana Republic Khakis from Seconds to Go, Pacific Heights
  • Jeans: $8.49 – Abercrombie and Fitch from Goodwill Fillmore
  • Skinny pants: $8.99 – Rogue from Seconds to Go, Pacific Heights
  • Shirt: $5.49 –  Tricia and Verona from Goodwill Fillmore
  • Shirt: $5.49 – Banana Republic from Goodwill SoMa
  • T-shirt: $1.11 – Hanes from Goodwill SoMa
  • Sweater: $7.49 – Rugby by Ralph Lauren from Crossroads, Fillmore
  • Belt: $1.49 – Banana Republic from Goodwill Fillmore
  • Jacket: $12.50 – Merona for Target from Crossroads, Fillmore

Total: $63.46

This can be combined into 73 different outfits!
With 2 pairs of shoes, 3 pairs of trousers and 3 t-shirts/shirts, there are 18 (2*3*3) shoe, trouser and shirt combinations. Each of these can be worn with or without sweater, and with or without Jacket, making a total of 72 (18*2*2) independent outfits. Bargain!

And I now present (unironically) a sample of these outfits.

Outfit 1:  Converse ($6.49), Skinny Pants ($8.99), T-shirt ($1.11), Sunglasses (don’t ask). Total cost: $16.59


  
Outfit 2: Flip flops ($1.49), Jeans ($8.49), Sweater ($7.49). Total cost: $17.47
 

Outfit 3: Converse ($6.49 – not shown), Pants ($4.43), Shirt ($5.49). Total cost: $16.41


Outfit 4: Converse ($6.49), Pants ($4.43), Shirt ($5.49), Jacket ($12.50). Total cost: $28.91
 

Voila! High fashion thrifting to the max!  And an unfortunate lack of irony.
Goodwill, I may need some extra spending money and you need a model. Call me!

No comments:

Post a Comment