About Me and my Experiment

About Me and my Experiment

My name's Phil Hodges. I'm a 30-something Brit living in San Francisco, where I work for a money management firm as lead researcher on a $6 billion investment fund. I earn a little more than the San Francisco 2013 minimum wage of $10.55 per hour (the highest in the nation), or $21,100 a year.

Throughout January 2013 I will be living on minimum wage. There will be a few practical constraints but I intend to keep these to a minimum. At the end of the month, everything I earn and do not spend will be donated to Larkin Street Youth Services, along with any other donations that I can squeeze out of supportive individuals and corporations. The money will support the amazing work that Larkin Street with homeless, runaway and at-risk youth between the ages of 12-24 by providing street outreach and emergency shelter, primary medical care, transitional housing, and job training and scholarship assistance to get kids off the streets.

Please consider supporting Larkin Street at this link, or by using the donation widget on the right of this page.

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

My biggest sacrifice yet?!

Normally, by this time of day I would have spent about $40 on basic living expenses, comprised of $4 to $30 for transportation (bus, cab or limo depending on my laziness / lateness), $3 to $10 at Starbucks, and $15 to $25 for lunch. 

Today I spent $0.89.

On soap.

I will be heroically multi-tasking with this soap. It will wash my skin, my hair and my $60 wardrobe (the clothes, not the furniture).  My coworkers are relieved by this new commitment to hygiene.

You are no doubt eager to find out how I achieved this budgetary miracle?

I walked to work and back (around 5 miles); I drank 2 cent tea without milk; and I ate the food I prepared yesterday (a lot of rice, beans and hot sauce).


Musical Frugality

I planned to avoid listening to my iPod during January, but I now realize that my commute on foot is a little too long for me to remain entertained by my thoughts for its entirety. I could replace my iPod with a free music service or the radio. Why don’t I do this?

I don’t have a good answer, but I do have an honest (entitled?) answer: I dislike the loss of control and inability to listen to a given song endlessly on repeat.

So, I have come up with an appropriate compromise. Get ready, because you’re going to be wowed by this brave and bold commitment to frugality.

Ready?!  I’m going to put it in bold font.

Henceforth, I will restrict my consumption of music to only those artists whose names include non-alphanumeric characters (excluding apostrophes and hyphens).

In my iTunes library, this limits me to:

*NSYNC (Don’t judge!)
AC/DC
Curren$y
Dr. Dre
Fun.
Ke$ha
M.I.A.
O.A.R.
P!nk
Panic! At the disco
Prince
Therapy?
Wham!



I am sure you all agree that this represents a serious sacrifice for the greater good.

Happy Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment