About Me and my Experiment

About Me and my Experiment

My name's Phil Hodges. I'm a 30-something Brit living in San Francisco, where I work for a money management firm as lead researcher on a $6 billion investment fund. I earn a little more than the San Francisco 2013 minimum wage of $10.55 per hour (the highest in the nation), or $21,100 a year.

Throughout January 2013 I will be living on minimum wage. There will be a few practical constraints but I intend to keep these to a minimum. At the end of the month, everything I earn and do not spend will be donated to Larkin Street Youth Services, along with any other donations that I can squeeze out of supportive individuals and corporations. The money will support the amazing work that Larkin Street with homeless, runaway and at-risk youth between the ages of 12-24 by providing street outreach and emergency shelter, primary medical care, transitional housing, and job training and scholarship assistance to get kids off the streets.

Please consider supporting Larkin Street at this link, or by using the donation widget on the right of this page.

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated

American Express
“Good morning Dr Hodges, my name is Laisha from American Express.  I wanted to discuss with you any changes in your spending habits and your satisfaction with our service.  Please call me back on . . . if there is anything I can help you with”

Mint.com
“In the last 30 days you spent $15 on Shopping. Usually you spend $1754.”
“In the last 30 days you spent $0 on Travel. Usually you spend $2460.”

Laundry Locker 
“It’s been a while since we last cared for your clothes… To get you back on track we have placed a coupon for $10 in FREE cleaning in your account.”

Uber 
“As a valued customer, please accept $10 in Uber credit that will be applied to your next trip.”

Bluefly.com 
“We’ve Missed You Philip. Because we heart you… Enjoy $30 off your next purchase”

Gilt Groupe
“Free shipping because we miss you”

Kiehl’s 
“We would be DELIGHTED to serve you again!  Just because we miss you, have a 2.5 oz Crème de Corps!”



You can get a lot of free stuff once you stop spending!

No comments:

Post a Comment