Today I feel exhausted. If I had five more hours in a day, I’m pretty convinced I could run the world. As it is, I can’t even run… As it is, I can’t even think of anything witty that’s easy to run.
I’m now half way through the month, and the novelty has certainly worn off. My day job hasn’t stopped: I’ve been working 12 to 14 hour days, in addition to trying to arrange various fundraisers, and attempting – and failing – to lead an employee group and not be a terrible friend. People with kids must feel like this all the time, so I’m not (yet!) claiming martyrdom.
I’m reminded of a quote by the late Christopher Hitchens. “I burned the candle at both ends and it often gave a lovely light”. It’s a touching quote. But, Christopher, I’m also burning the candle at both ends, I’m pretty sure the light isn’t that lovely and I really need to sleep!
You guys are a huge support network, keeping me happy, engaged and motivating me to continue to vomit out word-salad daily blog updates. I usually don’t have a lot of time to write these updates, but I love it, and it’s a great excuse to take a short break from working or trying to wash t-shirts with soap. And thank you for reading! I’m continually surprised by how many people continue to read this blog. A lot of you even read the posts that don’t feature shirtless pictures, binge drinking or binge eating!
I’m equally touched by how many of you have helped me to support Larkin Street. We have raised $18.5k! This means that we should completely obliterate my $21k goal by the end of the month. Brilliant.
So, what can Larkin Street do with $20k?
$20k can:
- Subsidize apartment living and case management services for a former foster youth for one whole year while they pursue their education and learn valuable employment skills to be able to live independently; less than $55 per night per youth
- Provide one month of emergency housing and supportive services, including immediate access to work and employment training, for eight (8) 18-24 year olds at The Lark-Inn for Youth; roughly $80 per youth per day.
I would be remiss (and it would be out of character) if I stopped hustling for more donations, so if you feel inspired, and if you can spare the change, please support this great organization. Every little helps.
Finally, an update on the spendometer!
Aside from the great pancake splurge of January 12th , I have been very sensible and am beating expectations. I am well into the Warren Buffet zone of frugality. $147 spent and $206 left.
I know that repeating how thankful I am is going to get annoying, but I really can’t thank you guys enough. So thank you. Again!

No comments:
Post a Comment