About Me and my Experiment

About Me and my Experiment

My name's Phil Hodges. I'm a 30-something Brit living in San Francisco, where I work for a money management firm as lead researcher on a $6 billion investment fund. I earn a little more than the San Francisco 2013 minimum wage of $10.55 per hour (the highest in the nation), or $21,100 a year.

Throughout January 2013 I will be living on minimum wage. There will be a few practical constraints but I intend to keep these to a minimum. At the end of the month, everything I earn and do not spend will be donated to Larkin Street Youth Services, along with any other donations that I can squeeze out of supportive individuals and corporations. The money will support the amazing work that Larkin Street with homeless, runaway and at-risk youth between the ages of 12-24 by providing street outreach and emergency shelter, primary medical care, transitional housing, and job training and scholarship assistance to get kids off the streets.

Please consider supporting Larkin Street at this link, or by using the donation widget on the right of this page.

Sunday, January 6, 2013

A first week retrospective: The Good, The Bad and Selena Gomez


I haven’t quite reached the end of my first week, but since it’s Sunday and I’m procrastinating before cooking yet more pinto beans and finishing up a work project, I thought this would be a good time to do a first week retrospective.  I have ten minutes to get this done, so it will likely read like I just vomited some stream-of-consciousness thoughts onto the internet.  Which is a shame since they remain part of the public record FOREVER!

I’ll start with the bad (which is likely to be a longer list, mainly of physical ailments) and then move on to the good (which may be a shorter list but is still winning the day).

The bad

Blisters: My $6 thrift store Converse shoes look pretty good, they don’t smell, and they coordinate effectively with the rest of my thrift store wardrobe.  These are their good qualities. Unfortunately, they have also shredded, blistered and bloodied my feet.  And because I haven’t budgeted for a car or bus tickets and I’m walking an average of five miles a day, these bad qualities are rapidly outweighing the good.  My feet need to toughen up fast.

Hair:  Cheap soap is very effective at cleaning hair. As we all learned in school, its hydrocarbon tail is hydrophobic and attracts oil and repels water, while the alkali metal at the other end attracts water. (You’re welcome!) This allows the efficient relocation of oil from hair into bathwater.  However, I now know why humankind invented shampoo: my hair squeaks when I touch it and looks a lot less clean than it really is. On the plus side, it stays wherever I put it without the use of product.

Skin:  Likewise, the skin on my face is getting really dry, and slightly flaking around the hairline. I am considering liberally applying margarine before bed. Seriously.

Battle wounds:  Chopping vegetables is an extreme sport and I have twice sliced my fingers.  I don’t deal with blood in a particularly calm way. There’s a lot of jumping and gesticulating in the style of somebody having an epileptic fit, all accompanied with repeating warnings of the imminence of my death.

Temperature control: Without an appropriate winter coat, I am reliant on heat generated from exercise or Franzia.

Lack of sleep: My normal workload hasn’t decreased, and is about to increase sharply. Preparing food, walking to work, washing dishes, and doing laundry are all stealing from my sleep time.

Diet:  It is no secret that I am a big fan of food, especially sweet delicious food.  In my weaker moments I have found myself licking the windows of cupcake stores and failing miserably to combine basic cooking ingredients into edible treats.  My low-budget, rice- and bean-heavy diet has some good digestive consequences and some less appealing ones (particularly in a social context). It is at least reasonably nutritious, but is monotonous and bland.

Entertainment: Pay attention because this may be the first recorded incidence of Selena Gomez being quoted in the service of trying to make a serious point…  In “Hit the lights”, Selena sings about regret and she laments a variety of things including boys she never opened up to, flights to Vegas that she never took, and lights she never “hit” (it’s very deep). She also sings “It’s all the money that you’re saving while the good life passes by”. I’ve sometimes worried about not doing enough – there are so many places to see, things to do, pieces of knowledge to acquire, donuts to eat – but I haven’t had to worry about saving money.  Now I have to say no to people and activities a lot more than I’m used to, all because of money.  This isn’t entirely negative – my days have been filled with an array of new interesting experiences that are equally rewarding – but it has required some adjustment.

The good

Fundraising: To date we have raised $7000 for Larkin Street and after I calculate how much I’ve saved this week it should be considerably higher.  It would be incredible if we could raise a full minimum wage salary of $21k by the end of January.

You guys: I have amazing friends and family, and you guys have been wonderful.  In fact, you’ve probably been way too nice.  Between helping me shop, helping to prepare food, sneaking me free drinks, providing information and moral support, you’ve done more than I could ever have asked for.  I have had to say no to a lot of offers of free food otherwise I could be eating out with a different kind friend every night.  I really appreciate all your support – thank you.

New experiences: I’m learning a lot of new things!  I’ve learned things that many of you think I should already know – like the cost of a pint of milk and how to prepare vegetables. I’ve also done considerable research on who earns minimum wage, their stories, and their experiences.  This has opened my eyes to a new world.

Inspiring others: I am incredibly happy – delighted actually – that I have recruited a new participant to minimum wage January.  If anybody else also wants to raise money in this way, please do!

So that’s my quick summary of week one.  There’s a lot more I want to write about, but that’s going to have to wait for another day.

Enjoy what’s left of the weekend, and don’t forget Selena’s advice to “hit the lights!” – whatever that means… Apparently you’ll regret it if you don’t.

No comments:

Post a Comment