A quick Avery update:
The test for Cushing’s disease was inconclusive. We took her back to the vet and, after a lot of drama, she submitted to a blood pressure test. Her blood pressure is very high, potentially caused by the tumour in her adrenal gland. We are now administering beta blockers and monitoring her condition.
If her health improves, this may be a sign that she needs surgery to have the tumour removed; if her health fails to improve, this is likely a sign that the vet has no idea what’s wrong with her. Neither outcome is particularly good.
The one silver lining is that the pills are fairly cheap: only $7.50, which can be funded from my $20 dog budget.
Also, a small cause for celebration. I’ve survived the first week!
So far we’ve raised $11,315, which puts us well on course to raise a full year’s minimum wage salary by the end of January.
Suck on that, Bono!
About Me and my Experiment
About Me and my Experiment
My name's Phil Hodges. I'm a 30-something Brit living in San Francisco, where I work for a money management firm as lead researcher on a $6 billion investment fund. I earn a little more than the San Francisco 2013 minimum wage of $10.55 per hour (the highest in the nation), or $21,100 a year.
Throughout January 2013 I will be living on minimum wage. There will be a few practical constraints but I intend to keep these to a minimum. At the end of the month, everything I earn and do not spend will be donated to Larkin Street Youth Services, along with any other donations that I can squeeze out of supportive individuals and corporations. The money will support the amazing work that Larkin Street with homeless, runaway and at-risk youth between the ages of 12-24 by providing street outreach and emergency shelter, primary medical care, transitional housing, and job training and scholarship assistance to get kids off the streets.
Please consider supporting Larkin Street at this link, or by using the donation widget on the right of this page.


No comments:
Post a Comment