Pinto beans are one of the best nutritional sources for someone on a budget: $1 buys you 1500 calories, 85g protein, 60g fiber, 11% of your daily vitamin C requirements, 50% of calcium and 110% of iron.
I am totally sick of them. Literally and metaphorically.
After January I will never willingly eat another pinto bean. Even now, the thought of eating more beans gives me the same Pavlovian gag-reflex response as doing cheap tequila shots. It took many misspent teenage years to develop the tequila response. This one has developed in 8 days.
Anyway, since I thrive on masochism and self-denial (yeah, I’m aware that this is BS, but it aids the narrative), my friend Kelley and I decided to make a new pinto bean-based dessert.
Yes that’s right: a pinto bean dessert! And not one of those gelatinous-goo-with-beans desserts that have been disappointing white people at Asian restaurants for millennia. No, a real sweet, creamy, chocolatey dessert based on pinto beans.
We found a recipe for pinto bean chocolate fudge here. I won’t rehash it. Suffice to say these were pretty good – probably my best dessert yet. Sure they made us feel sick, but that was from stuffing our faces with deliciousness.
The moral of the story: They may make me gag, but there is nothing – NOTHING! – worth doing that can’t be done with pinto beans.
No comments:
Post a Comment