About Me and my Experiment

About Me and my Experiment

My name's Phil Hodges. I'm a 30-something Brit living in San Francisco, where I work for a money management firm as lead researcher on a $6 billion investment fund. I earn a little more than the San Francisco 2013 minimum wage of $10.55 per hour (the highest in the nation), or $21,100 a year.

Throughout January 2013 I will be living on minimum wage. There will be a few practical constraints but I intend to keep these to a minimum. At the end of the month, everything I earn and do not spend will be donated to Larkin Street Youth Services, along with any other donations that I can squeeze out of supportive individuals and corporations. The money will support the amazing work that Larkin Street with homeless, runaway and at-risk youth between the ages of 12-24 by providing street outreach and emergency shelter, primary medical care, transitional housing, and job training and scholarship assistance to get kids off the streets.

Please consider supporting Larkin Street at this link, or by using the donation widget on the right of this page.

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Why Larkin Street? And why you should give me your money.

My friend Helen (not her real name) was twelve when her father first raped her.  Now she talks with pain, embarrassment and shame of how quickly she learned to feign enjoyment so he would hurt her less.  By fourteen she had run away from home and was living in emergency housing in Chicago and working with a counselor to finish her education and manage her depression. Today she has a highly successful professional career, a husband and three kids, and an oversized home in the ‘burbs.

She told me this today.

I have been touched by how many friends have reached out to express support or share news stories, research and their own experiences of poverty and homelessness.  I have a lot to learn.  In a few days, and without me having made any sacrifices yet, we have raised over $4500 for Larkin Street Youth Services.  This is incredible. Thank you.

Larkin Street is my chosen recipient for the funds that we raise. You may have noticed various links and widgets enabling you to throw your support behind my poverty experiment. In case you missed them, please follow this link: http://www.razoo.com/story/Minimumwagejanuary

And here’s why you should give your money.

There are 5700 homeless youth in San Francisco. Last year Larkin Street served 4100.  The kids they serve are diverse racially, ethnically and socioeconomically, but they share common histories of abuse, neglect and have rarely experienced “family” in the traditional sense.

It is because of organizations like Larkin Street that my friend Helen is alive, thriving and providing a loving and stable environment to her own kids.

I had a great meeting a couple of days ago with Nicole Garroutte at Larkin.  She completely sold me on the fantastic work the organization does.  They may not describe it exactly this way, but I see their programs as falling into three categories:

1.    Serving immediate needs: Food, Safety, Housing
2.    Investing in youth: Education services, job skills training, medical and mental health development programs
3.    Research and advocacy for better policy: Quantitative research to determine the most effective programs. Advocate policy change.

The first of these serves an important need; the second helped to put Helen where she is today; the third is absolutely crucial to creating a better tomorrow, and it’s one of the reasons I’m very excited to be supporting Larkin Street.  You can read more about the organization here, or just ask me.

So, yeah, please give me your money. I don’t need it, but I know people who do.

No comments:

Post a Comment