About Me and my Experiment

About Me and my Experiment

My name's Phil Hodges. I'm a 30-something Brit living in San Francisco, where I work for a money management firm as lead researcher on a $6 billion investment fund. I earn a little more than the San Francisco 2013 minimum wage of $10.55 per hour (the highest in the nation), or $21,100 a year.

Throughout January 2013 I will be living on minimum wage. There will be a few practical constraints but I intend to keep these to a minimum. At the end of the month, everything I earn and do not spend will be donated to Larkin Street Youth Services, along with any other donations that I can squeeze out of supportive individuals and corporations. The money will support the amazing work that Larkin Street with homeless, runaway and at-risk youth between the ages of 12-24 by providing street outreach and emergency shelter, primary medical care, transitional housing, and job training and scholarship assistance to get kids off the streets.

Please consider supporting Larkin Street at this link, or by using the donation widget on the right of this page.

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Health care or food?

There are many reasons why I will be unable to fully replicate the experience of living on minimum wage.  One of the most significant is that – for me – this is a voluntary experiment.  If something happens to me, my family or my friends, I get to call it all off. Most people don’t have that luxury.

Without this lifeline and without health insurance, I cannot afford to get sick.  So I need to include the costs of health insurance in my budget.  As a single man without dependents, I am ineligible for most government (federal, state or city) healthcare benefits.  I assume that my minimum wage employer does not offer a medical or dental plan.

The cheapest medical insurance available from Kaiser Permanente is $129 a month, but this includes a $5000 deductible.  In other words, I am responsible for the first $5000 of medical expenses. I don’t have $5000, so my best option is a $363 a month plan that has no deductible but a reasonably high copay of $50.  Dental insurance is $26 a month.

This reduces my daily budget from $25 to $12.  And if I were earning federal minimum wage, it obliterates my budget and I can’t eat.

I need to rethink the cable TV budget.

1 comment:

  1. <> 'four seasons costa rica' in search bar <>

    How you gonna afford that, poorboy?

    ReplyDelete